Friday, June 12, 2009

B - E - L - I - E - V - E

It comes down to this.


Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals between the Detroit Red Wings and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

One game.


One Trophy.


60 minutes to destiny.

You know, I've been following the Pittsburgh Penguins for 26 seasons, since I was 9 years old.

In my lifetime, I've watched thousands and thousands of hockey games on my television cheering for them.

Attended hundreds of games in person at the Igloo and gone on the road to see the Boys of Winter dozens of other times, too.


In all that time, I have never seen a game as important as the one that will be played tonight at Joe Louis Arena.


I will have never poured out as much heart and emotion as I'm sure to spill this evening.


I know I'll be profoundly affected by the result when everything is over.


I just don't know how or which way.


There really can't be any more game analysis at this point. About the biggest tactical mysteries surrounding game 7 are whether Red Wings coach Mike Babcock will again play Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk together, and whether Penguins coach Dan Bylsma will go back to playing 7 defensemen or reinsert Miroslav Satan into the lineup in the absence of Petr Sykora, who will miss tonight's game with a foot injury.


(Contrary to what I said yesterday, the foot apparently IS broken -- which means the report I read about the x-ray being negative was obviously false).


Otherwise, this series has been discussed ad nauseum. From the home/road storyline, to the Marion Hossa storyline, to the veteran vs. youth dynamic. It's all been covered.

At this point, it's even hard to find good articles about the game tonight -- one of the most incredible moments in sports. Here's about all I could come up with:


http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/michael_farber/06/10/Penguins.RedWings/index.html?eref=sixtra_newsletter061009


http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Playoffs/2009/06/11/9769171-cp.html


http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/allen/2009-06-11-finals-analysis_N.htm


So, at this point, I'm just left to watch.


To see how it unfolds.


To find out if Sidney Crosby will be the youngest Captain to ever lead his team to a Stanley Cup.


To see if the Penguins can buck so many of the odds and win as the underdog on the road in a championship game 7 tonight.


To watch the most important game in the history of the Pittsburgh Penguins franchise.


And in my lifetime so far.


Oh, and to do one more thing:









LET'S GO PENS!

No comments: