Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Penguins Make 2nd Round of Training Camp Cuts




Well, the Penguins reduced their roster again yesterday, sending 13 people to the Baby Penguins.

Without naming all of them, I'll say that there weren't really any surprises in the cuts. Among the more notable players sent down were Ryan Stone, Jonathan Filewich and Kris Beech. Ben Lovejoy and Joey Mormina -- 2 of the Penguins fringe prospects on defense behind Goligoski -- also were sent down.

Those still with the team include forwards Janne Pesonen and Bill Thomas, as well as defenseman Dany Richmond. Of course, Go-Go is still with the big club, too. Paul Bissonette has stuck around, too, although I'm not sure at this point whether he's a defenseman or forward. Of course, he was drafted as a defenseman, but has been playing more up front recently.

At this point, the Penguins have 16 forwards, 10 defenseman and 3 goaltenders. Expect about 4 or 5 more players to go down, one of whom will almost surely be goaltender Jonathan Curry.

Hopefully we'll know more about the status of Gonchar's injury soon. Even though I'm on my way out of town, I'll try to post as soon as I know something.

No comments: